Drupal Developer Interviewing Essentials
Drupal is one of the most popular content management systems in the world. Business owners choose Drupal as a platform for their websites and web apps because it’s a secure, free, open-source, and easy-to-use solution. If you would like to join the community of prominent organizations that are already using Drupal, such as BBC or Oxford University, then it’s time for you to look for professional Drupal developers.
Interviewing a Drupal Programmer: Tech Skills
There are two types of Drupal programmers: front-end developers, who create Drupal themes, and back-end developers, who are responsible for module development. Therefore, a skill set that should be evaluated during the interview depends on whether you need a front-end or a back-end Drupal programmer. By the way, you can also search for full-stack Drupal developers, who can do both front-end and back-end.
Technical Skills of a Front-End Drupal Developer:
- Proficiency with HTML5/XHTML and CSS.
- Ability to transform wireframes and layouts into working HTML pages.
- Experience with building responsive user interfaces for websites and/or web applications.
- Experience with debugging tools, such as Firebug, Chrome Inspector, etc.
Technical Skills of a Back-End Drupal Developer:
- Experience with web solutions development and PHP implementations in a LAMP environment.
- In-depth knowledge of built-in Drupal modules, such as Views, Panels, and CTools.
- Experience with development of custom Drupal modules.
- Knowledge of theme functions and PHP files.
- Familiarity with the Drupal theme layer.
- Familiarity with database management systems, such as MySQL.
- Proficiency with key Drupal APIs, such as Entity API, Node API, Queue API, etc.
- Ability to perform the server-side setup for a seamless performance of a Drupal website/web app, database, PHP, web server (Apache), file permissions, etc.
- Knowledge of Drush, a command-line interface of Drupal.
- Knowledge of PHPUnit testing framework to write and run unit tests and functional tests.
These are the skills that you should take into account when shortlisting the Drupal developer candidates. We hope that you will find a perfect match for your project.