If you check the rankings of the world’s most popular and demanded programming languages, you’ll always find Java somewhere at the top😎
Here are some examples of recent rankings (as of 2018-2019):
- second place according to the GitHub’s PYPL (Popularity of Programming Language) rating,
- first place as per job searches on Indeed (almost 70,000 jobs),
- second place in the top 5 languages by Fortune 25,
- fifth place in StackOverflow’s “Most Popular Technologies” rating.
Additionally, the rating by Fortune 25 shows that Java is used by such world-renowned companies as Apple, Walmart, Amazon, Ford, and others. Therefore, it’s not a surprise that the demand for qualified Java developers is on the rise nowadays.
In this article, we’ll highlight the benefits of Java as a programming language, provide an overview of Java developer salaries worldwide, and give you some tips on how to hire Java developers in 2019.
Strengths of Java as a programming language
Having existed on the market for over 20 years, Java still manages to top the global charts of programming languages and remain the number one choice of industry giants.
So why is this language so powerful?
Here are the key benefits of Java:
- Java is platform independent. The language is compatible with all platforms and devices, from mainframe data centers to smartphones. Its compiled code – bytecode – can run on almost any platform without recompilation.
- Java is object-oriented. It enables you to build modular programs and reuse the code.
- The language is easy to learn, write, compile, debug, and thus is good for beginners.
- Java is the base language for the Android operating system.
- As a mature language, Java is more stable and predictable than other programming languages.
- Because of its popularity worldwide, Java has a large active user community and support available.
- Java’s powerful development tools such as Eclipse SDK and NetBeans offer an integrated development environment and have a debugging capability.
Java developers for hire: salary and freelance rates worldwide
Now we are going to compare the salaries of Java developers in various countries.
We will consider both the annual rates for in-house specialists and hourly rates for freelancers and will be using the data at Indeed.com and Payscale.com as of April 2019.
Java developer salary rates worldwide: the state of 2019
- United States: $ 39,000 per year – junior, $ 102,699 – middle, $ 202,000 – senior.
- Australia: $ 38,000 per year – junior, $ 99,906 — middle, $ 189,000 – senior.
- Canada: $ 30,000 per year – junior, $ 84,507 – middle, $ 165,000 – senior.
- United Kingdom: $ 19,673 per year – junior, $ 69,454 – middle, $ 149,510 – senior.
- France: $ 19,241 per year – junior, $ 43,538 – middle, $ 83,757 – senior.
- Germany: $ 37,359 per year – junior, $ 52,077 – middle, $70,191 – senior.
- Poland: $ 9,793 per year – junior, $ 22,234 – middle, $39,440 – senior.
- Israel: $ 5,604 per year – junior, $ 50,443 – middle, $93,039 – senior.
- India: $ 2,643 per year – junior, $ 6,385 – middle, $ 14,447 – senior.
- China: $ 11,039 per year – junior, $ 19,542 – middle, $52,511 – senior.
As you see, there is a striking difference in Java developer salaries between some countries, such as the United States and India.
Due to high costs and developer shortage, companies in the US would often prefer to outsource or hire freelance Java developer talent. Now let’s take a look at the freelance hourly rates for the same countries, found at Ziprecruiter.com and Upwork.com.
Java developer freelance rates worldwide: the state of 2019
- United States: $ 11 per hour – junior, $ 50 – middle, $ 80 – senior.
- Australia: $ 80 per hour — middle.
- Canada: $ 20 per hour – junior, $ 85 – senior.
- United Kingdom: $ 10 per hour – junior, $ 130 — senior.
- France: $ 15 per hour – junior, $ 110 – senior.
- Germany: $ 25 per hour – junior, $ 120 – senior.
- Poland: $ 20 per hour – junior, $ 85 – senior.
- Israel: $ 40 per hour – junior, $ 100 – senior.
- India: $ 4 per hour – junior, $ 65 – senior.
- China: $ 5 per hour – junior, $ 100 – senior.
Java developer salary in Ukraine
Ukraine has recently become a favorable outsourcing destination for many software companies from overseas. Today the country features over 1,000 offshore development companies with nearly 116,000 qualified software engineers, and this number is still growing.
Here are the key reasons why businesses and startups choose Ukraine to outsource software development and hire Java developers in Ukraine:
- Ukrainian universities release up to 15,000 IT specialists every year.
- Ukraine is 3rd in the world by the number of certified IT specialists.
- Ukraine is featured in Gartner’s top 30 countries for offshore services.
- The skills of Ukrainian software developers are highly rated at the TopCoder and HackerRank websites.
- Convenient location in the middle of Europe allows to quickly reach the country almost from everywhere.
- 80% of software development services outsourced to Ukraine are ordered by clients from the US.
- The Global Sourcing Association (GSA) named Ukraine the outsourcing destination of the year 2017 whereas the Outsourcing Journal considers Ukraine as the number one outsourcing destination in Eastern Europe.
On YouTeam, we feature the profiles of almost 300 Java developers from Ukraine working at 82 development shops.
Based on our data, here are the Java programmer salary rates in Ukraine:
- Junior: $ 20 per hour or $ 45,000 per year.
- Middle: $ 37 per hour or $ 55,000 per year.
- Senior: $ 65 per hour or $ 107,000 per year.
As you see, it would cost you twice less to hire a senior Java developer in Ukraine than it would cost you in the United States. At the same time, you’ll get the equal quality of work delivered.
Tips for hiring Java developers
No matter which country you’re in and which location you choose to hire Java developers, here are some general tips that may help you during this challenging process.
So, what you should look for in a perfect candidate for the position of a Java developer?
First of all, it is technical knowledge. Apart from testing the knowledge of general Java-related concepts, such as object-oriented programming, concurrency, SQL queries and so on, you can ask the “narrower,” more specific questions, such as:
- How does Garbage Collection prevent a Java application from running out of memory?
- What is JIT?
- When to use volatile variables?
- Why do you need to use synchronized methods or blocks?
- What is the marker interface in Java?
- Why is it not possible to extend more than one class in Java but possible to implement multiple interfaces?
- What is the advantage of a generic collection?
And of course, do not forget about the practical tasks such as writing a function or reviewing a piece of code.
Then you should test the candidate’s soft skills.
You can ask some random tricky questions to check their problem-solving skills and the ability to get out of critical situations. You can also ask them about their greatest achievement and greatest failure when working on previous projects.
If you’re interviewing someone for a remote or freelance Java developer position, ask about their experience working remotely.
Additionally, ask how they typically overcome the challenges of remote work such as the lack of face-to-face communication or distractions.
Other tips are as follows:
- Thoroughly check each candidate’s competencies. At the screening stage, when you find out that your candidate’s CV may contain not enough information, do not hurry to put it away. First, ask the candidate for extra information such as their code samples, a link to a GitHub profile, or published articles, if any.
- Establish a transparent interview process. A standardized, consistent interview process can help you better evaluate the candidates. Do not forget to prepare for your interviews in advance. To begin with, write down a list of the most important questions and topics you want to cover and draft possible answers to those questions.
Where to find and hire Java developers?
You may be thinking that because of Java’s popularity, it’s quite easy to hire a Java developer for your project. However, this popularity also has a flip side and it may be actually hard to find good Java developers.
It’s easy to learn this language, and many people may learn it just to land a coding job with a nice salary. As a result, they are not passionate about their job, seeing it just as a source of income.
But what if you’re a startup founder seeking creative, enthusiastic people, then for sure just the knowledge of Java will not be enough for you. Besides, according to Robert Half, Java is used mainly for big enterprise projects, that’s why programmers typically do not use it to experiment with their own projects, that’s why a good Java developer is hard to find.
You can go further and pay a recruiter so they can help you hire Java developers. But before you start planning your budget for that – be aware that there are also alternative ways to hire a team of developers.
We recommend trying YouTeam, our tech talent marketplace that combines the convenience of a freelance portal with the reliability of an offshore software agency.
Here’s how everything works with us:
- We partner with the best offshore software companies that are located mainly in Eastern Europe. Why best? 😎 Because we strictly screen each company before it can feature the profiles of its engineers on our platform.
- Developers and developer teams – who work full time for our partners and are not freelancers – publish their profiles on YouTeam.
- The clients browse the profiles and shortlist the ones they’d like to interview. If the developer is not available for new projects, they’ll have the “Booked” status.
- After the successful interview, the client contacts the software agency where the developer is employed and signs a contract with them.
- The cooperation is remote. All of the overhead costs are carried by the vendor whereas you pay only for the development services.
What you get as a client:
- Quick and easy access to the profiles of over 300 handpicked teams, which are ready to start next week.
- A team of developers dedicated to your project only – other clients cannot contact them while they are working for you.
- Direct communication with the developers throughout the project.
- Secure and reliable payment transactions made via our platform.
- Reasonable prices but the high quality of work.
With YouTeam, it will be definitely easier for you to hire Java developers for your project.
Over to you
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to hiring Java developers. However, now that you are aware of the current hiring trends, you can choose what works best for you.
We at YouTeam are always there for you whenever you need a perfect match😉