The tech talent shortage in the United States and Western Europe is becoming more and more noticeable every year. If you still manage to find software developers in your location, their prices may be sky-high even for short projects, no matter which technology stack you need. Looking for a PHP developer, Java developers, or experts on other technologies, but there’s a lack of them where you live? The best way to solve this problem is to hire freelance developers.
So what are the key steps to take after you decide to hire freelance developers?
- Define a destination where you are going to look for tech talent. The most popular offshore destinations are Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and Africa. Each one has its own benefits and drawbacks, so you should carefully research the tech talent market and other features of the chosen country.
- Choose a freelance website where you are going to search for candidates. The most popular one is Upwork; however, if you are looking for deep experience and strict vetting, consider TopTal or Crossover. Here are the top 10 places where you can find and hire a freelancer.
- Browse the website(s) for profiles of software developers from the location of your choice.
- Shortlist the candidates with skills that fit your project requirements and good ratings from clients.
- Interview the candidates and hire those that passed the interview. For example, here are the 25 questions to ask before you hire web developers in 2019.
Some websites and platforms offer ready-made teams of freelance software developers, so you can hire a dedicated team. Sometimes it is better to work with the team whose members have worked with each other for a long time than build one from scratch. For example, here’s how you can find a perfect game dev team. However, communication may occur only via a project manager, which is not the best option when you want personal communication. Additionally, this may not be an option for startups that are looking for highly scalable teams.
As you can see, there are many pitfalls that can await you during your hiring process. The purpose of this article is to help you make the right decision.
At first, it may seem hard to find freelance developers, but actually it’s quite easy when you are familiar with the subject. We hope that our article has given you an idea about where to look for freelance software developers, how to organize the hiring process, and what to pay specific attention to. Good luck!