Built in 1994 exclusively for web development purposes, the PHP open source programming language is still in high demand. Today it is used mostly for desktop applications, server-side scripting, and command line scripting.
Here are some interesting facts about PHP:
- It is the core language of Facebook as well as the Magento e-commerce platform and WordPress web platform.
- It belongs to the top 10 most popular technologies, according to StackOverflow.
- The same statistics by iDataLabs shows that PHP is ahead of Java, Python, and Perl, as it has the biggest market share (92.71 %).
- As per Indeed, PHP belongs to the top 7 most demanded programming languages of 2019 with almost 17,000 search results.
- PHP closes the top 5 most popular languages in the PYPL (Popularity of Programming Languages) rating by GitHub.
In this article, we are going to list the strengths of PHP as a programming language. We will also give an overview of PHP developer salaries across the world and provide you with some helpful hints on how to hire PHP developer talent.
Advantages of the PHP programming language
According to iDataLabs, PHP is currently used by more than 3,646,491 companies in the world.
But why would over 3 million companies choose this language? Here are the answers:
- It is open source. This means that any PHP developer can access the common PHP development tools and make any necessary adjustments to PHP libraries in a fast and easy way.
- It is easy to learn. In 2017, the WP Engine platform representatives conducted a survey of almost 1,000 developers across the USA. The survey results showed that PHP was the fourth easiest programming language to learn, according to 4.9 % of the surveyed developers.
- It is object-oriented. Starting with the 5.0 release, the language supports object-oriented programming (OOP), thus making PHP even more efficient.
- It is platform independent. The language is supported by all devices and platforms, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. For web development, PHP works well across multiple development stacks, including the popular LAMP stack.
- It has a built-in web server starting from PHP 5.4. You can use this server to run your PHP applications locally during the development with the testing purposes. As a result, you no longer need to configure a full featured web server such as Apache or Nginx.
PHP developer for hire: global salaries and freelance rates
Now let’s look at the salaries of PHP developers worldwide in US dollars. We are going to take into account both the annual rates for in-house specialists and hourly rates for freelancers. We will be using the data found at Indeed.com and Payscale.com as of April 2019.
Global salary rates for PHP developers
- United States: $ 30,000 per year – junior, $ 89,598 – middle, $ 179,000 – senior.
- Australia: $ 41,000 per year – junior, $ 95,232 – middle, $ 171,000 – senior.
- Canada: $ 24,000 per year – junior, $ 78,478 – middle, $ 163,000 – senior.
- United Kingdom: $ 14,215 per year – junior, $ 48,118 – middle, $ 100,760 – senior.
- France: $ 18,958 per year – junior, $ 41,935 – middle, $ 73,601 – senior.
- Germany: $ 27,129 per year – junior, $ 51,567 – middle, $ 68,070 – senior.
- Poland: $ 8,564 per year – junior, $ 18,100 – middle, $ 36,608 – senior.
- Israel: $ 32,160 per year – junior, $ 67,491 – middle, $ 86,280 – senior.
- India: $ 2,105 per year – junior, $ 5,048 – middle, $ 11,464 – senior.
- China: $ 8,793 per year – junior, $ 23,173 – middle, $ 31,871 – senior.
You may observe a significant difference between salaries in some countries. For example, the salary of a senior PHP developer in India is more than two times lower than the salary of a junior PHP developer in the US. Therefore, companies in the United States often prefer to hire freelance or offshore PHP developer talent.
Companies in the United States often prefer to hire freelance or offshore PHP developer talent.Click to tweet
Now let’s compare the hourly freelance rates for the same countries as of April 2019.
Global freelance rates for PHP developers
- United States: $ 35 per hour – junior, $ 125 – senior.
- Australia: $ 25 per hour – junior, $ 150 – senior.
- Canada: $ 20 per hour – junior, $ 180 – senior.
- United Kingdom: $ 18 per hour – junior, $ 60 – senior.
- France: $ 15 per hour – junior, $ 60 – senior.
- Germany: $ 15 per hour – junior, $ 130 – senior.
- Poland: $ 15 per hour – junior, $ 75 – senior.
- Israel: $ 12 per hour – junior, $ 60 – senior.
- India: $ 5 per hour – junior, $ 50 – senior.
- China: $ 5 per hour – junior, $ 60 – senior.
Salaries of PHP Developers in Ukraine
Many software businesses and startups both in Western Europe and the United States have recently shifted their focus from Asia to Eastern Europe, Poland, and Ukraine in particular. Only in Ukraine, there are more than 1,000 offshore development companies featuring about 116,000 software developers.
This number is growing because the tech universities in Ukraine release about 15,000 IT specialists on a yearly basis. So why companies choose Ukraine to outsource software development? Here are the main reasons:
- Gartner features Ukraine in its Top 30 countries for offshore services.
- The Global Outsourcing 100 list by IAOP includes 13 companies with development centers in Ukraine.
- Ukraine is 3rd in the world according to the number of certified IT specialists.
- 80 % of software development services outsourced to Ukraine are ordered by clients from the US.
- The Outsourcing Journal considers Ukraine as the number one outsourcing destination in Eastern Europe.
We at YouTeam give our clients access to the profiles of over 600 PHP developers and teams from Ukraine that are employed at local agencies.
Here are the average PHP programmer salary rates in Ukraine as seen on our platform:
- Junior: $ 23 per hour or $ 38,761 per year.
- Middle: $ 32 per hour or $ 51,685 per year.
- Senior: $ 45 per hour or $ 71,067 per year.
This data demonstrates that it would cost you almost three times less to hire a senior PHP developer in Ukraine than it would cost you in the US. However, you will still get the same exceptional quality of work. We at YouTeam can guarantee that because all PHP developer for hire talent featured on our platform comes from strictly pre-vetted agencies.
PHP developer hiring tips
No matter the hiring destination, you should consider the same factors when interviewing and hiring a PHP developer.
Make sure that you have a standardized process of interviewing for better evaluation of the candidates. Prepare a list of the most important questions on topics that you want to cover and draft possible answers to those questions.
Here are some sample technical questions that you can ask:
- Which function gives the number of affected entries by a query?
- What is the meaning of $_FILES?
- How does the ereg_replace() function differ from the eregi_replace() function?
- Is it possible to extend the PHP script’s execution time?
- How to change the maximum size of the files to be uploaded?
- How to access the data sent through the URL with the GET method?
- How to establish a connection with a MySQL database from a PHP script?
- How to set an infinite execution time for a PHP script?
- What type of operation is required when passing the values through a form or an URL?
- What is the most common way to start and finish a PHP code block?
Apart from the technical skills, it is important that you test the candidate’s soft skills such as their behavior in critical situations, analytic thinking, creativity, etc.
It is important to test the candidate’s soft skills. These include overall behavior, stress-resistance, analytic thinking, creativity, etc.Click to tweet
If you are hiring someone for a remote position, ask about their experience working remotely and their own ways of overcoming the challenges of remote work.
Where to find and hire PHP developers
Because of its relative simplicity, PHP is often chosen by beginners to start off their software development career. Therefore, you must be extremely careful if you want to hire the right PHP developers for your project. It is crucial to distinguish between those who use PHP as a springboard into their career in the IT and true professionals who are passionate about what they do. And the best way to hire the right people is to get help with recruitment.
Before you start planning your budget to pay for the recruitment services, we recommend that you try YouTeam. It is a tech talent marketplace that is as easy as a freelance portal and as reliable as an offshore software development company. Our workflow is as follows:
- We carefully handpick the best offshore software companies located mainly in Eastern Europe. Each company is pre-vetted before it can publish the profiles of its employees on our platform.
- The clients browse the profiles of available developers and choose the people they would like to talk with.
- In case of a successful interview, the client signs a contract with the software agency where the developer is employed.
- The developers start working on the client’s project. The cooperation is fully remote. The overhead costs are taken over by the responsible agency while you pay only for the work delivered.
Our clients get:
- A team of developers that is dedicated to your project only. Other clients cannot contact your team members while they are busy working for you.
- Quick and easy access to the profiles of over 600 PHP developers, most of which ready to start within a short time interval.
- Perfect price/quality ratio.
No matter how complex your project is, we’ll do our best simplify the process of hiring PHP developers for your project.
Over to you
If you are going to hire PHP developers, you can never be sure that you are making the right choice… unless you are armed with the knowledge necessary to make this choice. We hope that our article has shed some light upon the global salaries of PHP developers and ways of hiring them.