10 Technical Skills That Every Magento Developer Should Have
As one of leading e-commerce platforms, Magento is extremely popular with enterprise-level merchants that sell large volumes of products. Business owners choose Magento because of good user experience and vast resource library. In addition, Magento is an open-source and thus customizable platform. Therefore, Magento e-commerce store owners are in constant search for highly qualified Magento developers that can handle this customization. Let’s find out which technical skills are needed to successfully pass a job interview for a Magento developer.
Which Technical Skills are Required for a Magento Programmer?
Qualified Magento programmers should be able to demonstrate the following technical skills and experience:
- Magento platform itself. It may sound obvious, but it is still worth mentioning that advanced Magento developers should have a deep knowledge of e-commerce platform working principles, with the Magento platform as an example. Besides, Magento programmers should be familiar with Magento architecture, versions, and basic features.
- PHP. PHP is the core language of Magento, so it is another important skill that every Magento developer should have.
- MySQL. Because Magento uses the MySQL database, Magento developers should also have a solid knowledge of MySQL DBMS.
- PSD and XHTML. Knowledge of PSD and XHTML is required to convert the Photoshop (PSD) to the XHTML files for templates.
- IDE and debuggers. Magento programmers should have experience with integrated development environments and debugging tools, such as PHPStorm, Netbeans, Eclipse, Zend Studio, etc.
- Backend. A professional Magento developer should be familiar with server side, i.e. know the working principles of Apache and Nginx servers.
- Virtual machines. Magento developers should be able to configure and use VMs, such as Vagrant, VMWare, or Parallels.
- Mobile app development. Almost every e-commerce website has a mobile version, so good Magento programmers should know technologies that are necessary for a Magento store to go mobile.
- Magento widget and module development.
Consider this skillset when interviewing and hiring a Magento developer. We hope that it will help you decide if this specialist is a right choice for your project and wish you good luck in this search on YouTeam platform.