The open-source programming language Ruby is used by Ruby on Rails developers to create server-side web application logic. Model view controller (MVC) framework Rails is used to write the logic. Back-end components, linking the application to online services, and helping front-end developers are all tasks that RoR developers are responsible for.
How to Hire Ruby on Rails Expert
There are a few factors to consider when hiring a Ruby on Rails programmer, including experience, pricing, and the type of work arrangement. It also relies on the project you’re working on and the talents you’ll need to finish it. To make your search easier, we collected information about places you can find RoR developers, approximate prices on their work, and how to prepare your job description. Let’s start with it.
Ruby on Rails Job Description
It’s important to write a clear Ruby on Rails job description if you want to attract proficient developers or development teams. It’s also vital to establish the right expectations upfront to streamline the vetting process and save everyone time and money.
What to Write in Ruby on Rails Developer Job Description?
An average job description includes the following parts: company introduction, job description itself, responsibilities, skills, and experience you’re expecting from your candidates. If your JD precisely describes the job position, and the pricing is average or higher than that on the market, chances are you’ll get lots of applicants.
Write 2-3 sentences describing your business in this section. Provide details on the company’s culture and benefits. This is an excellent place to provide a link to your business’s website. The finest applicants will conduct extensive research before their interview.
Be specific about the job you expect your new developer to complete.
Here is the sample job description:
‘‘We’re searching for a competent Ruby on Rails Developer to help us manage data transfer between our users and the server. You’ll be in charge of building and maintaining the core database’s server-side logic, as well as testing performance, troubleshooting, and integrating front-end aspects into the rails application’’.
Be clear and honest about the responsibilities. You can choose from the following tasks of the Ruby on Rails developer:
- Design, develop, and maintain Ruby code that is efficient, reusable, and dependable.
- Databases, key-value stores, blob stores, and other data storage methods may be integrated.
- User-facing elements created by front-end developers are combined with server-side logic.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, then come up with remedies.
- Assist with code quality, structure, and automation’’.
The Ruby on Rails Web Application Skills
The following skills are required for a Rails Developer:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and other standard libraries like RSpec and Resque is required.
- Ruby syntax and its intricacies are well-understood.
- Object-oriented programming knowledge is essential.
- Understanding server-side templating languages is essential.
- Understanding of CSS preprocessors on the server.
- MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful ideas are all concepts that you should be familiar with.
- The ability to write clean, readable Ruby code.
- Integration of many data sources and databases into a single system.
- A basic understanding of the design ideas that go into making a scalable application.
- Possess the ability to design database schemas that represent and support business operations.
- Capable of putting automated testing platforms and unit tests in place.
- A thorough understanding of code versioning tools is required.
- Include any other frameworks, libraries, or technology that is relevant to your project or profession.
- Level of education or certification required.
ROR Developer Experience
Make sure to include the level of expertise that your company prefers and clarify the experience the coder should have for your position. You can select (or choose everything) from the following:
- Ruby on Rails.
- Libraries like Resque and RSpec.
- Code versioning tools including Git, Github, SVN, and Mercurial.
- AngularJS or BackboneJS.
- MVC, Mocking, RESTful, and ORM.
- Server-side templating languages including Slim and Liquid.
Ruby on Rails: Top Interview Questions
When you selected the candidates that could suit your project, it’s time for a hard-skills interview. Here are some questions you might use.
- What is Ruby on Rails, and how does it work?
- What are the functions of the app/controllers and app/helpers subdirectories?
- What command can you use to make the subject’s controller?
- Give five examples of what Rails Migration can do.
- What exactly is a Rails Controller?
- How do you prevent Cross-Site Request Forgery in Rails?
- In Ruby on Rails, what does trash collection do?
- Name three Ruby on Rails limitations.
- What are the top Ruby on Rails benefits?
- Name the four different sorts of variables in Ruby Class.
Freelance Ruby on Rails Developer Pricing
In the United States, a Ruby on Rails developer earns an average of $117,922 a year. Rates for Rails freelancers can range from $30 to $100 per hour, depending on the developer’s years of experience, location, availability, and additional programming languages needed.
Top-Notch Websites to Look for a Ruby on Rails Developer
Ultimately, a few things will influence your choice of Ruby on Rails developers. Consider the duration of the product development, the years of experience of the coders, the cost, and the amount of time you’re willing to invest in the hiring process.
Let’s share with you some places where you can find Ruby on Rails experts to complete your development projects.
As one of the largest freelancing job boards on the web, Fiverr is a proven platform for connecting with prospective freelancers. The site aims to streamline the process of connecting web developers with clients in a way that’s efficient for both sides.
You can contact an experienced Ruby developer by selecting their profile if you think you’ve found a good fit. Once the terms for a project have been finalized, a client hires an RoR developer and pays the upfront fee. You have about three days to read over the finished product and decide whether to accept a project submission or reject it to get a refund.
Clients look through the site’s list of freelance developers and development companies by using its robust filter tools to find the right fit. You can filter developers based on their price range, a body of work, and much more.
Fiverr is a website to look for developers who specialize in a specific area, as the site includes categories for almost any form of development work. If you click on the mobile application development link, for example, you can narrow down possibilities based on even more precise criteria like custom app development or web-to-app conversions.
Through devoted freelancing talent, Upstacks wants to elevate remote tech teams around the world. They source their web developers from all over the world to find the greatest freelance expertise.
They use an eight-step hiring procedure to ensure that site visitors have access to the greatest applicants with exceptional development skills, communication abilities, and personalities. Java, Python, iOS, and PHP are just a few of the disciplines where they have experts.
They’ve worked for well-known companies such as Microsoft and Lego. However, depending on the size and scope of your company, Upstacks has a broad talent pool that is very scalable.
YouTeam is in cooperation with DevOps agencies, so if you are interested in software development expertise rather than cheap freelance pricing, this option is for you. YouTeam talent pool includes over 20,000 full-time developers from Eastern Europe and Latin America. All of them have passed the selection stages, so the chance to quickly find a full-stack expert with a more proficient level than a freelance developer is much higher. YouTeam works with both seed and series A startups, as well as large companies with over a thousand employees, and specializes in recruiting the teams that provide Ruby on Rails development services.
RoR websites and communities
Here is the list of some other websites and online communities where you can find RoR developers:
- Ruby on Rails Jobs
- Ruby on Rails Developers on YouTeam
- Ruby on Rails official community
- Reddit for Rubyists
Ruby on Rails has exploded in popularity in a relatively short amount of time as a framework. The framework’s purpose is to reduce the amount of time and effort required to create a web application. This, however, places a strain on the developer’s expertise in the framework. It is especially true given the framework’s preference for convention over configuration.