How to create an appealing website? How to exceed visitors’ expectations? These questions don’t have easy answers. Each year slowly modifies our idea of what a website or app should look like. With new technologies emerging and advancing rapidly, businesses are challenged to keep up to stay competitive.
The most obvious item on the to-do list for web developers is researching present-day trends. However, the question is, “How do you distinguish the most relevant new trends that will stand the test of time?” Luckily, we help you foresee relevant changes in web development.
Wondering what trends you should opt for to meet your customers’ needs? This article is your guide to the current and upcoming trends that will shape web development in 2024. Now, let’s take a look at each of them.
Table of Contents
Advanced AI chatbots
Artificial intelligence chatbots are usually programs that can have human-like conversations based on NLP (Natural Language Processing). Thanks to the increasing popularity and advanced web technologies of this field, this trend became popular among various companies (Duolingo, Sephora, Starbucks, HealthJoy, etc.).
It was predicted that more than 40% of the companies in 2023 would have chatbots and virtual assistants and that this trend would continue to increase in 2024. These expectations remain high because of the great investment companies are making to enhance the customer experience to increase their market share.
Below you can see the statistics of how the chatbot adoption will look like in 2024 and its expected growth rate for the upcoming years.
Advantages of using AI chatbots:
- About 40% of internet users prefer chatbots to other virtual assistants. Experts tracked their use in various industries, including healthcare and technologies. Their findings showed that this trend will likely continue increasing.
- AI chatbots based on NLP show a positive impact on customer services. Among those: high customer satisfaction rates, a decrease in calls to customer support, and fewer referrals to the call center. Studies showed that most customer problems could be solved by only using chatbots based on machine learning.
- The growth of chatbot use for businesses helps employees avoid focusing on repetitive tasks.
The statistic presented below shows how AI chatbots’ value for businesses will grow in the future. It also presents how some regions will increase their incomes based on the AI Market:
AI content personalization
AI content personalization is a process that determines what kind of content will be shown to the site visitor. It can be collected through various ways, for example, forms or visitors’ behavior. Usually, this content is different depending on the user and can fill their needs or piece of interest.
Optimizing the content this way is highly appreciated by visitors as they don’t need to search through the whole site. Instead, visitors can quickly search to find what they’re looking for—AI helps to provide that.
A Twilio survey also points out that about 60% of participants would become repeat buyers if the web page offered content personalization. On the other hand, 45% of respondents would do business with another company if it had no content optimization or failed to provide it.
This way of working helps web apps avoid distractions and work similarly to desktop applications. In addition, the app’s interaction with the server allows it to function much faster.
Pros of using the single-page application:
- It is faster than a traditional website. Using a single-page application helps to load data quicker and more efficiently as there’s no need to request all of the page’s information from the server again and again. Single-page application only uploads new pieces of information without needing to reload the entire page and eliminates wait time while waiting for a page to refresh.
- Comfortable use. Single-page applications have all the necessary information on the front-end of the page the visitor sees without clicking on many different links to access the information.
- No extra request to the server. Such types of applications help to not overload the server and help to save money by keeping fewer servers but still handling the same amount of traffic.
A single-page application is a perfect fit for mobile development. It’s easy to create mobile-friendly and mobile-first apps.
Progressive web apps
Progressive web apps (PWA) are websites that look similar to the application, which can be installed on mobile devices, laptops, or PC. It’s one of the latest web development trends. A PWA has the same look, the number of functions, and they are a lot faster and minimalistic compared to traditional applications. Such progressive web applications can send push notifications and have an icon on the desktop.
Advantages of using progressive web apps:
- Fast page loading. Progressive web apps are more effective than traditional websites by providing a better user experience.
- Compatibility. Progressive web apps are universal in the website development process for various devices, platforms, and browsers.
- The ability to work offline. When these apps are used, temporary data such as cache files get stored on Mac or any other device on which they are opened. By using the cache saved from online sessions, PWAs can function offline.
- Better personalization. Progressive web apps are developed to be more personalized to provide a better user experience.
Voice search optimization
Voice search optimization is a good way of boosting a website’s ranking to appear in voice searches. The process helps to draw new customers to the website and enhance their user experience.
Key emerging trends in search engines through the smart speakers and these ongoing changes:
Pros of voice search optimization:
- It helps businesses to be on top of their competitors.
- A great way to provide customer journey personalization.
- It has a significant impact on website SEO.
Using motion UI provides an intuitive and enjoyable user interface. It’s also one of the popular web design trends. It’s created as a CSS file that provides a set of pre-made effects, such as slide, scale, spin, fade, and hinge. Moreover, it brings some built-in animations. If the use of Motion UI is correct and not exaggerated, it can increase the interest in the website and draw new customers.
Here are some other anticipated trends for 2024:
- Dynamic color gamma. Such type of Motion UI is already a part of smartphone systems that enhances the user experience. It works easily depending on which wallpaper the user has, the color palette will also change.
- 3D in e-commerce. Such a type of UI is expected to be popular in 2024 to help to distinguish interactive parts of the logo design and other animations.
- Cursor interactions. Micro animation of the cursor is one of the ways to attract users’ attention to the website and interest them to interact with more links. Different minimalist interactions with the users can get great results in conversions.
- Refreshing the content. This will help users to stay up to date with the content, and a little slide motion will help to keep them on the site longer.
Advantages of using Motion UI:
- Increasing the level of usability
- Creates a user-friendly website with convenient and intuitive ways of interaction
- Makes a visually pleasant website design
Responsive web design
Responsive web design (RWD) is a design created for use on various types of devices by keeping non-functional requirements in mind and optimizing useability for numerous screen sizes, devices, and web browsers. Among the sites using RWD are Dropbox, GitHub, Magic Leap, Shopify, Slack, and WIRED.
The work of an RWD can be described as working with the help of CSS, which uses different options, such as color, size, resolution, to bring the best experience to the user.
Pros of responsive web design:
- Easy to create for different devices
- Elevates SEO
- Better customer experience
- Same design for any platform and device
Push notifications help to bring the user back to the app if they haven’t used it for a while. It is also a good way of sending information such as news, as these notifications appear on a locked screen, which makes the user more likely to interact with them. This technology helps to keep users in touch, update them with news, and attract them to use the website, again and again, helping to increase the website’s conversion rate. This technology is widely used among e-commerce companies.
Push notification open rates by industry:
Source: Business of Apps
Statistics above show that if the company is in one of these fields, push notifications will easily help to improve the number of customers, attract their attention, and surely help the business bring users back to the company. Moreover, such push notifications can be personalized, which will surely increase the user’s interaction rate.
Advantages of push notifications:
- Attract users back to the website or the app.
- Can be a good way to monetize through the adds banners.
- Engage customers with interesting and attractive content to continue using the website.
- Helps to provide users with the latest updates, news, etc.
Improved data security
Data security is one of the most important things in today’s business. It needs to be continually improved and updated for better resistance against cyberattacks.
Cybersecurity trends and statistics claim that there is a high demand for cybersecurity engineers as the number of hacker attacks has grown with the pandemic. More and more businesses digitalize—without cybersecurity experts— thus, become more vulnerable.
We listed the top 2024 trends in web development that ensure that businesses stay up to date and enhance the user experience. Following them means drawing your focus towards transforming the interaction with clients.
In a nutshell, most businesses could benefit from implementing some of these features and strategies (if they are not already put into practice):
- integrate AI chatbots to enhance your customer services;
- implement AI content personalization to showcase the content users are specifically looking for;
- use single page application to keep everything fast and highlight the most important information on the front-end of the page;
- progressive web apps are there to enhance the loading process and allow working offline;
- you can benefit from voice search optimization as it provides users with a faster way of searching and increases productivity;
- motion UI lets you stand out among your competitors by delivering an intuitive and pleasant interface;
- responsive web design is useful for creating designs for various devices and different screen sizes;
- implement push notifications to send out the information you find valuable;
- Finally, there is no need to underline the importance of data security, yet we specify numerous ways to protect your business from cyberattacks.
Hopefully, our guide will come in handy as well as help you provide your customers with an even smoother user experience. Furthermore, if you are looking for a reliable partner to create a web solution, we are here to assist you and direct you towards a high-end solution.
If you are looking for web development services and need quality engineers to extend your team, YouTeam is ready to help.