How much does it cost to hire an offshore Shopify developer?
Average cost of Shopify
The average rates for offshore software development services based on the YouTeam platforms’s data: 300+ outsourcing companies with a joint talent pool of 20,000+ software engineers.
Shopify Developer Salary vs. Rates on Shopify Software Development Services: what’s the difference? Our data includes not only salary itself, but bonuses, non-financial benefits, paid vacations, office costs, and taxes for each developer. So you can see the final amount that should be paid for the work of an outsourced senior Shopify developer.
YouTeam is the #1 solution for on-demand engineering staff augmentation in the world. Our YCombinator-backed platform unites resources of 300+ top development agencies of Eastern Europe and Latin America in one talent tool. This makes us first who can find the best available matches for each project.
Why hire engineers with YouTeam
PHPPHP is a general-purpose scripting language for back-end web development. Cost of PHP development
RubyRuby is a high-level, interpreted programming language mostly used for web development. Cost of Ruby development
Read about Work with Shopify Developers
Best Practices to Protect Your Store in 2022
Understanding Shopify as a
- Shopify–what is it?
- What is Shopify used for?
- Shopify tools
- Who is a Shopify developer?
- Shopify developers' experience levels
- Tasks and responsibilities of Shopify developer
- Required skills of a Shopify software engineer
- Types of Shopify developers: freelancers, in-house engineers, outsourced developers
- How to write a Shopify developer job description?
- Shopify developer hard skills assessment questions
Shopify is an eCommerce platform that allows businesses to quickly create and manage online stores without having any issues with servers and development.
Shopify uses Liquid–a template language created by Shopify and written in Ruby. This template language is used to load and easily create dynamic content for the shops.
The benefits of using Shopify as a platform for the online stores are:
- Easy maintenance and management. The platform provides software and hosting to launch and manage the website easily. The interface is very intuitive and user-friendly.
- Security. Shopify provides a high level of security in dealing with any kind of documentation, personal information, and transactions.
- App and features integration. Owners of eCommerce websites can integrate applications to their online shops, thus, adding new features.
- Marketing tools. Shopify provides SEO features and website analytics. It is also easy to create landing pages for the websites and customize tags for SEO.
Shopify is a platform that allows businesses to create, maintain, and manage eCommerce websites. It is also possible to create and sell goods in offline shops with the help of Shopify Point of Sale (POS) and application with all the shopping locations available. It is also a good option that allows you to customize the website easily.
There are several tools that are worth using to create an attractive eCommerce website.
- Exchange. This tool allows you to buy and sell online shops. It is easy to find a suitable shop based on different features, such as price, revenue, profit, business type, site age, and others.
- Burst. With this tool, you can find high-quality pictures for the online shop: banners, ads, and other marketing purposes.
- Hatchful. This tool allows you to create a unique logo for your eCommerce website. You can choose from a variety of fonts, colors, shapes, etc. (thus, if you have no budget for the logo, you can create it with free options).
- Kit. It is a marketing tool that provides such features as email personalization, ad creation, posting, and reminders not to forget to post on social media.
Shopify app developer is a full-stack developer whose main responsibilities are to create, maintain, and manage the interactive eCommerce website. Other responsibilities of the Shopify developer are to create new or modify existing themes in Shopify Templates for specific brand benchmarks.
There are three types of developers based on their experience level: junior, middle, and senior developers.
- Junior Shopify developers
- Middle Shopify developers
- Senior Shopify developers
Senior software developers have more than five years of experience. Such a level of expertise requires them to have advanced knowledge of more than two programming languages, frameworks, an advanced understanding of front-end development, and extensive expertise in developing websites on the Shopify platform. They also have experience in integrating external APIs and the ability to install and customize the Shopify themes. Senior developers also have good collaboration skills, and they often play a role of a team lead and manage the development process.
Shopify developers have the following responsibilities:
- Create and maintain new Shopify themes;
- Write clear, readable code;
- Test the performance of the website and proceed with the debugging process;
- Together with UI and UX developers, create an efficient user experience;
- Optimize the website with marketing tools and platform APIs for higher conversions.
Shopify developers are required to have the following skills:
- Experience in full-stack development;
- Strong knowledge of Liquid and Shopify Themes;
- Knowledge of Google Analytics tools for Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) and other marketing tools;
- Experience with such popular platforms as WordPress, Magento, etc.
When hiring Shopify developers, you have three types of engineers: freelancers, in-house, and outsourced developers.
- Freelance Shopify developers
Freelance developers are a good option if you have a not complicated short-term task. You can hire them very quickly, and it is also cheaper compared to other options. This model also provides a wide pool of freelancers from other countries. Freelancers are a good option for developing small features and improving the existing eCommerce websites. But with this option, you may have a low-quality product as it is difficult to find skilled and experienced developers with all the required skills among freelancers.
- In-house Shopify developers
If you have a project in the core development stage or you want to find a team of engineers for your company, you should hire in-house developers. These programmers are highly motivated and dedicated to the company as they are a part of your business. It is also a good option as in-house developers try their best to create high-quality projects and provide software solutions on how to improve existing ones. Although, this hiring model is quite expensive as you pay not only for the developers’ work but also spend on technologies your developers need and bonuses for them.
- Outsourced Shopify developers
The last option is outsourcing which includes two types of hiring–traditional outsourcing and staff augmentation. With outsourcing, you can hire a dedicated development team of software engineers as well as QAs, designers, and PMs to work on your eCommerce project. You can hire quality offshore developers that live in countries with a lower cost of living which influences the average salary of developers and make it a cost-effective solution. Staff augmentation allows you to quickly hire one or several experienced developers with the required skills as a helping part of the in-house team. This model also provides a wide talent pool with cost-effective hiring (you only pay for developers’ working hours).
A good developer job description can help you to find the best matching candidates that will also be able to provide you with good development services. To get an attractive developer job description, point out the following:
- Write the job title and describe the developer’s role.
- List tech skills.
- Point out the responsibilities the developer will have.
- Point out the project’s development stage (core development or maintenance).
- Write about the expectations you have of the end product.
- Write about the field your company works in (the developers with related job experience can come up with appropriate solutions for your project).
There are many ways how to test the developer’s tech skills–online tests, live coding, and assessment questions. Hard skills assessment questions allow you to check the required knowledge and skills.
- Are there any Liquid IDEs available for Macs and PCs?
- Is it possible to set up custom product types to have two different kinds of product templates?
- Is product_img_url -> srcset possible?
- What would be the typical syntax for a Liquid object with a metafield?
- What is the best way to make a dynamic section available on the homepage?
- Can Shopify compile both Sass and Less?
Tell us about your plans on a brief intro call and we’ll start the matching process.
FAQ about Hiring Shopify Developers
Why hire Shopify developers with YouTeam?
YouTeam is a marketplace for fast scaling your development team with skilled and experienced developers. It is a fast solution as you get the first candidates in less than 48 hours, and each engineer will have all the required skills you need.
How does YouTeam vet Shopify software developers?
The vetting process in YouTeam goes into several stages. Before sending candidates to the client, we select them among the reliable agencies we work with and pre-interview developers to check if they are skilled enough. After we have chosen the best-matching engineers, we send them to the client, who after selects the ones they want to have the next interview with. After the client interviews and select who they want to work with.
How much does it cost to hire the best Shopify developers using YouTeam?
The average hourly rate of Shopify developers depends on such factors as location, experience, and skills of the developer. The average YouTeam hourly rate for Shopify developers is $55.
Where are the best offshore Shopify engineers located?
The best Shopify engineers are located in countries of Latin America and Eastern Europe. As these regions have high growth in the IT sector, it has increased the number of skilled and experienced developers as well. It is cost-effective to hire engineers from these regions, as the living costs are lower compared to the US, but the expertise of engineers is still at a great level.
How is YouTeam different from freelance portals for hiring Shopify developers?
YouTeam doesn’t provide freelancers but engineers from reliable development agencies. We handpicked each agency, which means the programmers they provide are highly skilled and experienced. In addition, you will be fully involved in the development process to check the developers’ performance. Finally, if something goes wrong and the developer has to leave the project, we will replace them with engineers of the same expertise.
Why hire a team of Shopify developers?
A team of full-time Shopify developers allows you to distribute tasks between developers to make the development process faster. The engagement of a team of developers is also higher as there is a competitive spirit between developers. It is also a good option if one developer will have to leave the project, others can distribute that developer’s tasks which will not influence the project development.
How Shopify developer salary is different, and why?
The base salary of a Shopify developer salary depends on the engineer’s location, how certified the developer is, and their skills. The average salary in such destinations as Latin America and Eastern Europe is lower as these countries have a low cost of living compared to the US. Due to Talent.com, the average annual salary in the US is $95K. But in New York, San Francisco, and Seattle, the median salary of Shopify programmers is even higher as the living in those cities is also higher. As the head office of Shopify is located in Ottawa, it is possible to find skilled Shopify developers there as well. Countries of Latin America have the salary ranging from $17K to $38K yearly. In Eastern Europe, their salary estimates from $18K to $36K per year.