How much does it cost to hire an offshore Android developer?
Average cost of Android
The average rates for offshore software development services based on the YouTeam platforms’s data: 300+ outsourcing companies with a joint talent pool of 20,000+ software engineers.
Android Developer Salary vs. Rates on Android Software Development Services: what’s the difference? Our data includes not only salary itself, but bonuses, non-financial benefits, paid vacations, office costs, and taxes for each developer. So you can see the final amount that should be paid for the work of an outsourced senior Android developer.
162 Best Android Developers For Hire on YouTeam in December 2022
Luciano M.Senior Android engineer
Džemal I.Experienced Android Developer with over 5 years of experience working on enterprises and startups.
Start hiring to Start hiring
see all talents
YouTeam is the #1 solution for on-demand engineering staff augmentation in the world. Our YCombinator-backed platform unites resources of 300+ top development agencies of Eastern Europe and Latin America in one talent tool. This makes us first who can find the best available matches for each project.
Why hire engineers with YouTeam
JavaJava is a high-level, class-based, object-oriented programming language that is used for back-end development. Cost of Java development
KotlinKotlin is a free, open-sourced programming language used to create client-side and server-side web pages and Android apps. Cost of Kotlin development
PythonPython is a object-oriented programming language with dynamic semantics. It is commonly used for developing websites and software, task automation, data analysis, and data visualization. Cost of Python development
Read about Work with Android Developers
Understanding Android as a
- Android–what is it?
- What is Android used for?
- Android tools
- Who is an Android developer?
- Android developers' experience levels
- Tasks and responsibilities of Android developer
- Required skills of an Android software engineer
- Types of Android developers: freelancers, in-house engineers, outsourced developers
- How to write an Android developer job description?
- Android developer hard skills assessment questions
Android software development is the process of creating the applications using the Android software development kit, which will be run on Android devices. The main programming languages for such apps are Java, Kotlin, and C++, but it is possible to use other ones.
There are several advantages of this popular OC:
- Easy UI customization. Android OC is an open-sourced system whose code can be changed by its developers to customize the interface. Android developers can access the core code and change it to create their unique mobile applications.
- Versatility. This feature allows development teams to create dynamic applications which can be used for several purposes once they are installed on the device.
- Continuous updates. As Android is supported by a large community of developers and those who share their feedback about the updates and new features, it allows to constantly check codes and features, make new modifications and provide better upgrades next time, which makes it more flexible, compared to iOS.
Android is a technology used by Android developers. Android development is primarily used to create mobile apps for Android OS-based devices (cellphones, tablets, and touchscreen devices). It allows developers to work with Manage Android Virtual Devices (AVD) and develop and update Android applications. It also has several advantages over other types of development:
- Multiplatform use. The use of Java in application programming allows to port applications to different software, such as Symbian and Ubuntu. It helps companies to scale their influence around platforms with Android development.
- Relatively fast deployment time. The deployment cycle of business applications can last for up to several hours, which makes this solution quite fast to implement new ideas on the market.
Among tools that developers can use to create efficient Android applications, there are the following:
- Android Studio. It is an official IDE for Android development that provides code debugging, editing, and testing, as well as a simple and nice interface.
- ADB (Android Debug Bridge). It is a command-line tool included in the Android Studio that allows developers to connect between the Android devices and computers during the development, testing, and debugging processes.
- AVD Manager. AVD Manager is a tool for running Android applications on the computer. It helps to test the performance options such as resolution and versions on different types of devices.
- FlowUp. With FlowUp, developers can track the performance, such as CPU, memory usage, and fps of each Android application.
- Genymotion. This is another tool that helps developers to test their applications over more than 3000 device scenarios to prevent any issues and future bugs. It also supports different programming languages and environments.
Android engineer is an IT specialist whose main responsibility is to create applications for Android OS, maintain and upgrade them. Developers also debug and improve the performance of the applications. Android developers also collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features.
Android app developers usually have three experience levels: junior, middle and senior developers.
- Junior Android developers
Junior Android developers are usually Entry-level mobile application developers who only begin their path in programming and have up to two years of working experience. They should have basic knowledge of one of the main programming languages–Java or Kotlin. Junior developers also need to be familiar with the basics of OOP and Version Control Systems. Junior mobile app developers are also familiar with Android SDK and work with JSON and REST. As they often have not that much experience, junior developers usually work on basic tasks and develop their skills in a team with more experienced engineers.
- Middle Android developers
Middle android developers usually have from three to five years of experience, which requires them to have advanced knowledge of Java and Kotlin programming languages, Android SDK, and to be familiar with RESTful APIs. Middle developers also need to understand Android UI design principles and patterns, know the open-source Android ecosystem, and what libraries are available for each specific task. These developers also work in teams with more experienced mobile engineers, but they can already suggest their own software solutions and have enough skills to implement them in life.
- Senior Android developers
Android developers have the following task and responsibilities:
- Design and develop Android applications
- Proceed with debugging and issues-solving processes
- Write clear, efficient, and readable code
- Test applications for usability, reliability, and robustness
Required skills may vary depending on the experience level of the developers and what tasks they will have to do. Here are the following required skills you may ask the Android developer to have:
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science
- High level of Android development skills
- Experience in Android software development
- Familiarity with Android SDK
- Understanding the mobile development life cycle
- Good communication skills
If you need to hire Android developers, you can choose between three options–freelance, in-house, and outsourced developers.
- Freelance Android developers
If you need a developer for some short-term or irregular tasks that don’t require you to have a regular development team, then a freelance developer is a good option. These developers are often cheaper compared to other options, and they can begin working the same day you find them. Although, freelancers are not very interested and engaged in the project as they may have several contracts at the same time. Also, you won’t be able to control them fully, and the quality of the product may not be as you expected. It is important to mention that it is quite hard to find freelance devs with high-quality skills and required experience as top developers usually work on interesting projects in tech companies.
- In-house Android developers
If you plan or are already on the stage of core development or have a team of developers on a regular basis to maintain and update your application, you should hire in-house developers. These mobile engineers are the most interested in the project and dedicate all their time to the development process. They also provide solutions on how to increase the quality and the performance of the project, as they are interested in the company’s development as employees. The main drawback of such a hiring option is the cost, as you will have to spend a lot to supply your developers with the necessary technologies, provide bonuses and other additional cash compensations for in-house employees.
- Outsourced Android developers
With outsourcing, you have two options–you can hire a separate dedicated outsourcing team with developers, designers, QAs, and PMs to develop and maintain the product. The second option is to use the staff augmentation model, which allows for quickly hiring high-quality contractors as an additional force for the in-house developers. With this hiring model, you get access to the huge pool of developers in the world because you are not limited in devs’ locations. Moreover, they are always high-quality engineers because they work in reliable software companies and will be fully focused only on your project throughout the collaboration.
The well-written job description helps to attract Android developers who have the required skill set and who are interested in the project. Thus we have created a list of what you should write in your job description to get the best matching candidates.
- Write the job title and describe the developer’s role in the project.
- Point out the expectations of your collaboration.
- Describe to what field your company relates (it will help the developers who have worked in the same area to come up with appropriate solutions for your project).
- Write about the project’s development stage (core development or maintenance).
- List the required tech and soft skills.
- Write about the responsibilities the developer will have.
To test your candidate’s tech skills, you can choose different options–online tests, live coding, or assessment questions. With the last option, you can check if the Android developer has the required knowledge and how they solve different problems. You can ask the following questions:
- What database is used for the Android platform?
- Can you change an application’s name after you have deployed it?
- Speaking of emulators, why is it so important for developers to have access to one?
- What’s the intent in the context of Android? Describe the different types.
- What is AAPT?
- If you have a fragment that displays ListViewContaining query results, which API would you use to bring the data over to the device asynchronously?
- How to add any fragment without using the user interface?
Tell us about your plans on a brief intro call and we’ll start the matching process.
FAQ about Hiring Android Developers
Why hire Android developers with YouTeam?
The main reason to hire with YouTeam is that you can find and hire top-quality developers to scale your team. You can be sure of each developer’s skills, experience, and reliability as we vet each company we work with. With a pool of 400+ development agencies and more than 20000 developers, you can get the first candidates in less than 48 hours.
How does YouTeam vet Android software developers?
YouTeam vets developers in several stages. Firstly, we look through the development agencies for candidates with the required skills and experience. Then we preinterview each of them to get the best matching ones and send them for approval to the client. After, the client has an interview with the selected developers, after which they choose the best engineers for them.
How much does it cost to hire the best Android developers using YouTeam?
The average hourly rate depends on many factors, such as location, experience, and skills. In YouTeam, the average hourly rate of an Android developer is $54.
Where are the best offshore Android engineers located?
The best offshore Android developers are usually located in Latin America and Eastern Europe. The technical growth of these two regions is pretty high, which means they have many development agencies that are ready to provide experienced and skilled developers for offshore clients. The average salaries in these regions are lower compared to the US, which makes it efficient to hire developers from these locations as it is also a chance to get highly skilled mobile engineers at a much lower price.
How is YouTeam different from freelance portals for hiring Android developers?
YouTeam doesn’t provide freelancers but developers from our partner reliable software development agencies. Such devs have all the required tech, soft skills, and experience. If, under unpredictable circumstances, the developer leaves the project, we can quickly replace the missing one with the same skilled engineer without any harm to the process.
Why hire a team of Android developers?
When hiring a full-time team of developers, you can expect them to process the development a lot faster. The development team is also more motivated as it is more interesting to work in a team which also leads to increased competitiveness. The development process is also more engaging as engineers can share their ideas and thoughts with each other, which can increase productivity. In addition, if there is a team of developers and one leaves the project, others can separate the tasks between them until that developer is replaced, which won’t influence the development process a lot.
How Android developer salary is different, and why?
The average Android developer salary depends on the developer’s location and skills. Offshore developers live in countries where the cost of living and engineer salary are lower compared to the US. Due to ZipRecruiter salary data, the Android app developer salary in the US is about $112K per year, but in such big cities as New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, the common Android developer salary is even higher due to the higher cost of living. In countries of Latin America, the yearly salary range is lower–from $19K to $31K. In Eastern Europe, the average Android developer salaries estimate from $19K to $34K per year.