How much does it cost to hire an offshore Docker developer?
Average cost of Docker
The average rates for offshore software development services based on the YouTeam platforms’s data: 300+ outsourcing companies with a joint talent pool of 20,000+ software engineers.
Docker Developer Salary vs. Rates on Docker Software Development Services: what’s the difference? Our data includes not only salary itself, but bonuses, non-financial benefits, paid vacations, office costs, and taxes for each developer. So you can see the final amount that should be paid for the work of an outsourced senior Docker developer.
159 Best Docker Developers For Hire on YouTeam in September 2023
Pedro S.Software Engineer with over six years of experience, passionate about technology, programming and learning new things
Viacheslav L.Lead PHP Developer with deep expertise in creating various microservices architectures
Start hiring to Start hiring
see all talents
YouTeam is the #1 solution for on-demand engineering staff augmentation in the world. Our YCombinator-backed platform unites resources of 300+ top development agencies of Eastern Europe and Latin America in one talent tool. This makes us first who can find the best available matches for each project.
Why hire engineers with YouTeam
GolangGolang is an open-source programming language used to create cloud and server-side applications. Cost of Golang development
NodeJSNodeJS is a back-end JS runtime environment used to create network apps. Cost of NodeJS development
PythonPython is a object-oriented programming language with dynamic semantics. It is commonly used for developing websites and software, task automation, data analysis, and data visualization. Cost of Python development
Read about Work with Docker Developers
Understanding Docker as a
- Docker — what is it?
- Why use Docker?
- What is Docker used for?
- Docker tools
- Who is a Docker developer?
- Docker developers experience levels
- Tasks and responsibilities of Docker developer
- Required skills of a Docker developer
- Types of Docker developers: freelancers, in-house engineers, outsourced developers
- How to write the Docker project description?
- Docker developer hard skills assessment questions
Docker is an open-source platform for developing, managing, and running applications. This platform enables separating the applications from the platform into containers. Containers are the standardized components that combine application source code with the libraries and other dependencies for better performance in any kind of environment.
Docker container technology provides the developers with all the benefits of VMs (Virtual Machines): disposability, cost-effectiveness, scalability, and application isolation. It also provides users with the next capabilities:
- Lightweight and gradual update. With lighter weight, the startup time is a lot faster and the better use of the hardware capacity. You can proceed with only one process in the container that helps to update some parts of the applications without influencing the other ones.
- Portability. Docker containers don’t need to refer to any machine-specific configurations, which helps them to run in different environments.
- Automation. With Docker, you can create the container based on the application source code automatically, what increasingly easier the development process.
- Reuse. You can use already used Docker containers to have a template for creating new containers.
- Flexible versioning. Docker tracks the updates of the containers, can move from older to newer versions, or just update some particular parts of the environment. It is a good option for the development operations of full-stack developers and data scientists due to its smooth and easy coding process and move around different systems.
- Library sharability. This option allows developers to access an open-source registry where everyone can find containers that other users have created.
Developers can use Docker containers for several reasons:
- Responsive deployment and scaling. Docker has high portability, which allows developers to run their containers on different environments (clouds, users’ devices, or machines in data centers). High scalability allows to run and manage workloads, create or delete applications or services if needed.
- Fast and lightweight running of the applications. Docker helps to ease the lifecycle of the software development process by allowing developers to work in environments where they can use local containers of the applications.
- More than one workload on one hardware. Docker provides you with a cost-effective and fast alternative to hypervisor-based virtual machines, which helps to increase the computer capacity for better performance. It is also a good option for small and medium deployments as it helps to perform better with lower resources.
There are some tools available for Docker developers which help a lot in high-quality app development, and here’s the list of them:
- DockerFile. It is a list of commands (CLI) that Docker uses to assemble the picture. This tool helps to automate the process of image creation.
- Docker images. This tool keeps a template of a set of instructions that developers can use for creating the container and implementing it into the Docker environment.
- Docker containers. It is a running instance of a Docker image. Developers can interact with them, manage and run. DevOps engineers can use such tools as Kubernetes to create the containers which they can later scale and manage.
- Docker Hub. Docker Hub is a repository of more than 100,000 container images. There are containers from developers, open-source projects, and software vendors which every user can use for their project.
- Docker daemon. It is a service that you can run on your host operating system. It helps to manage and create the Docker images for you. It can act as a control center for the Docker implementation.
A Docker developer is a specialist with expertise in Docker container development. Such developers usually create, design, and maintain containerization technologies, develop scalable applications, and develop architecture. Docker containers are also a good option for front-end and back-end development.
Docker developers, due to their level (junior Docker developer, middle Docker developer, and senior Docker developer) have a different amount of knowledge and experience. Here are the main differences between each experience level.
- Junior Docker developer
Junior Docker developers have from zero to two years of experience. During this time, they should know the basics of container development, basic knowledge of one programming language, and auto-scaling system for Kubernetes Nodes. They also should be familiar with some alerting and monitoring tools, such as PagerDuty, Grafana, etc. Junior developers usually work in a team with more experienced engineers, which helps them grow and increase their knowledge.
- Middle Docker developer
Middle Docker developers have more experience than junior developers–from three to five years. This experience level requires them to have knowledge of at least one programming language, more advanced knowledge of container development, experience with Kubernetes and cloud computing services. These developers can create working software solutions and are able to implement them in life.
- Senior Docker developer
Senior Docker developers are required to have more than five years of experience. Senior software engineers should have advanced knowledge of Docker development, know more than one programming language, be familiar with maintaining .Net apps to migrate them off different servers and have experience in managing Virtual Machines. They also should have good project management skills as they usually manage not only projects but also take responsibility as team leads.
Docker developers often have the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Integrate containerization technologies
- Develop and increase the capability of the application’s CI/CD pipelines
- Keep up to date with the latest technologies
- Develop, scale, and maintain complex applications
- Create the product map and design the architecture
Here’s the list of required skills that Docker developers should have:
- Degree in Computer Science.
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, Docker Engine API, and cloud deployment technologies–AWS (Amazon Web Services), Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, etc.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines management.
- Experience managing Virtual Machines.
There are three types of Docker developers, among which you can choose the best suitable for your needs: freelancers, in-house engineers, and outsourced developers.
- Freelance Docker developers
Freelance developers usually don’t work for a company and are not dedicated to the project as in-house engineers. If the company has a small budget for the project or if the project is short-term, then freelancers may be a good option. Although, there is a problem that it is hard to find developers who will match all the requirements and will be skilled enough as most top-quality engineers already have interesting projects they work on as in-house developers in big companies.
- In-house Docker developers
If your need is core development, you should hire in-house developers. These developers are more dedicated compared to freelancers, and as they are more interested in the project, they can provide great software solutions on how to make the project better. Although, there are also some drawbacks, such as additional expenses on tools and technologies, bonuses, and other extra spending required for the in-house team.
- Outsourced Docker developers
The last option is outsourcing. You can hire outsourced developers as a helping part for your in-house engineers or as a whole full-time team with the product manager, designers, and QAs. This dedicated team will be focused on your product, and they can be a helpful source for your in-house core developers to implement new ideas.
Detailed and structured Docker jobs descriptions can attract the developers with the required skills who will be interested in the project and creating new software development solutions. We have gathered the information which you should point out in this description:
- Write the job title and describe the developer’s role.
- Write about the expectations of the end product.
- Describe shortly in which field your company works (it will help the developers who have worked in the same area to come up with appropriate solutions for your project).
- Point out your project’s development stage (core development or maintenance).
- List required tech and soft skills.
- Describe the responsibilities the developer will have.
If you have to test the candidate’s tech skills, you can ask them the following questions:
- What is a Docker Container?
- Explain Docker Architecture.
- What is Docker Compose?
- What is Docker Swarm?
- How do you create a docker container from an image?
- Is there a way to identify the status of a Docker container?
- How far do Docker containers scale? Are there any requirements for the same?
Tell us about your plans on a brief intro call and we’ll start the matching process.
FAQ about Hiring Docker Developers
Why hire Docker coders with YouTeam?
Hiring with YouTeam takes less than 48 hours, which makes us the fastest solution on the market. Along with the high hiring speed, you will also get top-quality candidates with all the required skills and extensive experience as they work in reliable software development agencies.
How does YouTeam vet Docker software developers?
The recruitment process in YouTeam takes place in several stages. Firstly, we vet the development agencies we work with and hand-pick candidates with the required skillset. Then, we preinterview each of them to choose the best matching ones and send them to approval for our clients, who later have the interview with the developers to choose the one they want to work with.
How much does it cost to hire Docker developers using YouTeam?
The salary range of the Docker developers depends on many factors, such as the location of the developer, their expertise, and experience level. The hourly rate of Docker developers in YouTeam is $50 per hour.
Where are the best offshore Docker engineers located?
The best offshore engineers are located in Latin America and Eastern Europe. These two regions have fast technological growth, which also led to increasing the number of skilled developers. The base salary in these countries is lower compared to the US, which also influences the engineer salaries. It can be a good option for US companies as it is a cost-effective solution and a chance to hire high-skilled developers.
How is YouTeam different from freelance portals for hiring Docker developers?
YouTeam doesn’t offer freelance developers but candidates from software development agencies we work with. These developers have the required experience level and required tech and soft skills. In case the developer leaves the project due to unexpected reasons, we will replace them with engineers of the same experience level and skills without any harm to the project.
Why hire a team of Docker developers?
It is a good option to hire a team of Docker engineers as the working process goes faster and each developer has the specific tasks they are responsible for. It makes the working process more engaging. The engineers are also more motivated, which increases the performance level. Another advantage is that if one of the developers leaves the project, other members can distribute the task between each other, which won’t influence the quality of the project.
How Docker developer salary is different, and why?
The Docker average salary depends on the developer’s location and skills. Offshore developers live in countries where the cost of living and base salary are lower compared to the US. Due to Payscale salary data, the median salary in the US for Docker developers is about $98K per year, but in such big cities as New York, Los Angeles, San Jose, and San Francisco, this number is even more due to the higher cost of living. In countries of Latin America, the average Docker salary range is lower–from $17K to $29K. In Eastern Europe, the median salary may vary from $17K to $26K per year.