How much does it cost to hire an offshore GraphQL developer?
Average cost of GraphQL
The average rates for offshore software development services based on the YouTeam platforms’s data: 300+ outsourcing companies with a joint talent pool of 20,000+ software engineers.
GraphQL Developer Salary vs. Rates on GraphQL Software Development Services: what’s the difference? Our data includes not only salary itself, but bonuses, non-financial benefits, paid vacations, office costs, and taxes for each developer. So you can see the final amount that should be paid for the work of an outsourced senior GraphQL developer.
YouTeam is the #1 solution for on-demand engineering staff augmentation in the world. Our YCombinator-backed platform unites resources of 300+ top development agencies of Eastern Europe and Latin America in one talent tool. This makes us first who can find the best available matches for each project.
Why hire engineers with YouTeam
ReactReact (also React.js, ReactJS) is a front-end open-source JS library for developing single-page apps and other user interfaces. Cost of React development
NodeJSNodeJS is a back-end JS runtime environment used to create network apps. Cost of NodeJS development
MongoDBMongoDB is a document-oriented database to create scalable and high-performing web applications. Cost of MongoDB development
Read about Work with GraphQL Developers
Understanding GraphQL as a
- GraphQL — what is it?
- What is GraphQL used for?
- GraphQL tools
- Who is a GraphQL developer?
- GraphQL developer experience levels
- Tasks and responsibilities of GraphQL developer
- Required skills of a GraphQL software engineer
- Types of GraphQL developers: freelancers, in-house engineers, outsourced developers
- How to write a GraphQL developer job description?
- GraphQL developer hard skills assessment questions
GraphQL is a language and server-side runtime for application programming interfaces (APIs). It helps to provide the users with the exact information they ask from the server. GraphQL makes the APIs flexible, developer-friendly, and fast.
There are some advantages why using GraphQL for your business:
- Speed. Clients get the exact data they want without extra costs as GraphQL proceeds the requests in a single trip.
- Organization. GraphQL can gather and manage the entire API.
- Introspectivity. GraphQL allows its clients to request the available data types, which is a good option for auto-generating documentation.
- The strict data type definition. It reduces miscommunication between the server and the client for easier and faster operations.
- GraphQL offers features and extensions which you cannot find in REST API.
Developers use GraphQL for the following needs:
- Software development where bandwidth is required and important.
- Applications with fetched data in a single call. Those can be networks where you need to have posts with fetched comments and other details.
- Composite patterns have to access data and retrieve it from multiple APIs.
- Facade pattern. This pattern helps developers to make complex APIs simple.
- Proxy pattern. It helps to add some new functionality to the old API to increase the user experience by helping users specify the response structures depending on their needs.
There are several tools that GraphQL developers can take advantage from:
- GraphCMS. Content Management System provides developers with the ability to manage the structures which need programmatically sharing data. It helps to have more flexible management for users, compared to common CMSs.
- GraphQL Docs. It helps to easily and fast generate the GraphQL documentation with endpoint URL.
- GraphQL Network. It is a Chrome tool for an easier debugging process.
- GraphQL Bindings. This tool helps to share and reuse GraphQL APIs as modular building blocks.
- GraphQL CLI. It is a command-line tool that provides developers with tools for creating, managing, and running GraphQL applications.
- GraphQL Boilerplates. It is a flexible NodeJS based tool that full-stack and back-end engineers often use.
- Apollo. Apollo GraphQL platform is an implementation of GraphQL which allows developers to transfer data from the cloud to the UI of the application.
There are three types of GraphQL developers based on their experience level:
- Junior GraphQL developers
- Middle GraphQL developers
Middle GraphQL developers have from three to five years of experience and are required to have a deeper understanding of GraphQL, be familiar with at least one programming language, and have intermediate knowledge of databases and data systems. These developers also work in teams, but they can come up with the ideas of software solutions and project improvements and independently work with their tasks.
- Senior GraphQL developers
Senior GraphQL engineers have more than five years of experience. They have advanced knowledge of API development experience with microservices architectures and cloud services (AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure). They also should know several programming languages and frameworks (AngularJS, ReactJS, Spring Boot, etc.). Senior software engineers should also have good personal and management skills. They are usually responsible for team collaboration and the leading of junior developers.
There are some tasks and responsibilities which GraphQL developers have:
- Create and design the GraphQL schema.
- Develop GraphQL APIs.
- Write clean code.
- Contribute to software development (backend and frontend development).
- Plan and manage tasks to achieve good results.
A GraphQL developer should have the following set of required skills:
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Experience with databases, such as MongoDB, Oracle, and MySQL.
- Acquaintance with several programming languages.
- Knowledge of web development languages (HTML, CSS, PHP) and frameworks (AngularJS, ReactJS, Spring Boot, etc.).
There are three types of developers which you can hire in your company: freelancers, in-house engineers, and outsourced developers.
- Freelance GraphQL developers
The first option you can try is a freelance GraphQL developer. Freelancers are not the most reliable option as they usually don’t sign any contracts with the customer and can leave the project on any development stage. They often have more than one project at once, so you shouldn’t expect them to be dedicated and highly engaged. They are a good option for companies that have a small budget or if you need to hire a developer for a short-term project. Although, it may be a problem to find the developer with the best matching skills as many skilled developers already work in software development companies that can provide them with engaging projects.
- In-house GraphQL developers
If your project is at the stage of core development, you should hire in-house engineers. They are more dedicated to the project and can provide great ideas on how to improve and develop the product. Although the team of in-house engineers is highly dedicated and skilled, there are some drawbacks, such as high expenses on technologies, tools, bonuses, and other extra spending.
- Outsourced GraphQL developers
The last option that you can choose is outsourced GraphQL developers. You can hire these developers with YouTeam outstaffing model, which provides you with top-notch full-time engineers. Outsourced developers are a good option if you need to find specialists to help your in-house development team or get an independent engineering team (you can hire not only the team but also a product manager who will help the development team to easily integrate into your company).
You should point out the next things to write a GraphQL job post that will attract the best candidates:
- Point out the job title and write the list of tech and soft skills that you want your candidate to have.
- Write your expectations about the project.
- Describe shortly your company and the field you work in (it will help developers who have expertise in your industry to find the best solutions).
- Point out the development stage (it may be the development from scratch or maintenance work).
- List responsibilities the developer will have.
If you need to test the candidate’s skills during the interview, you can ask them the following questions:
- How to do Error Handling in GraphQL?
- What is GraphQL schema?
- How does GraphQL fix the issues of Over-Fetching or Under-fetching?
- How to do Server-Side Caching in GraphQL?
- List the key concepts of the GraphQL query language.
- Are there any disadvantages to GraphQL?
- How do you prevent a nested attack on the GraphQL server?
Tell us about your plans on a brief intro call and we’ll start the matching process.
FAQ about Hiring GraphQL Developers
Why hire GraphQL developers with YouTeam?
With YouTeam, you can hire developers in less than 48 hours which makes us the fastest solution on the marketplace. One more reason is how qualified the developers are. We provide only top-notch engineers with extensive experience and only from reliable and handpicked software development agencies.
How does YouTeam vet GraphQL software developers?
In YouTeam, we vet candidates in several stages. Firstly, we vet every software development company we work with—all of them are hand-picked and approved by our specialists. Then we pre-interview the selected developers to find the best candidates who meet all the customer’s requirements. Then we send them to approval to the client, who later has the interview with candidates to get the best one based on their experience and skills.
How much does it cost to hire the best GraphQL developers using YouTeam?
The average salary of GraphQL developers depends on many factors: location, experience, and skillset. In YouTeam, the average hourly rate of GraphQL developers is $55.
Where are the best offshore GraphQL engineers located?
The best offshore GraphQL developers are located in Latin America and Eastern Europe. As these areas have great technological growth, there is also an increased number of skilled developers. The average salaries of developers in these countries are much lower than in the US due to lower living costs. It is a great and cost-effective solution for US companies as there is a wide pool of skilled software engineers for offshore hiring.
How is YouTeam different from freelance portals for hiring GraphQL developers?
YouTeam doesn’t offer freelance developers but only developers from reliable software development agencies. These developers will have the required tech and soft skills and the needed level of experience. In case the developer has to leave the project due to unexpected reasons, we can replace them with an engineer of the same experience level and skills without any harm to the project.
Why hire a team of GraphQL developers?
It is a good option to hire a team of GraphQL developers as the workflow is faster, and each developer has tasks they are responsible for. It makes the working process more interesting and engaging as several people can exchange their idea and thoughts about the project. The performance rate is also higher. Moreover, if one of the developers needs to leave the project, other developers can distribute the task between each other, which won’t influence the quality of the project.
How GraphQL developer salary is different and why?
The GraphQL developer’s salary depends on the location of the developer and their skills. Offshore developers usually work from home and live in countries where the cost of living is lower than in the US. Due to Payscale salary data, the US GraphQL developers earn $102K per year. In big cities as New York and San Francisco, this number is higher as the cost of living there is more expensive. In Latin America, the salary range is lower–from $40K to $78K per year. In Eastern Europe, the salaries vary from $45K to $70K per year.