How much does it cost to hire an offshore Magento developer?
Average cost of Magento
The average rates for offshore software development services based on the YouTeam platforms’s data: 300+ outsourcing companies with a joint talent pool of 20,000+ software engineers.
Magento Developer Salary vs. Rates on Magento Software Development Services: what’s the difference? Our data includes not only salary itself, but bonuses, non-financial benefits, paid vacations, office costs, and taxes for each developer. So you can see the final amount that should be paid for the work of an outsourced senior Magento developer.
171 Best Magento Developers For Hire on YouTeam in March 2023
Dmitriy G.Senior Magento Back-End Developer with strong knowledge of corresponding technologies
Andrew Y.Certified Magento 2 Developer
Start hiring to Start hiring
see all talents
YouTeam is the #1 solution for on-demand engineering staff augmentation in the world. Our YCombinator-backed platform unites resources of 300+ top development agencies of Eastern Europe and Latin America in one talent tool. This makes us first who can find the best available matches for each project.
Why hire engineers with YouTeam
PHPPHP is a general-purpose scripting language for back-end web development. Cost of PHP development
LaravelLaravel is an open-source PHP-based web framework that aims to ease the development process and is used to create a wide range of web applications based on PHP. Cost of Laravel development
NodeJSNodeJS is a back-end JS runtime environment used to create network apps. Cost of NodeJS development
Read about Work with Magento Developers
Understanding Magento as a
- Magento–what is it?
- What is Magento used for?
- Magento tools
- Who is a Magento developer?
- Magento developers' experience levels
- Tasks and responsibilities of Magento developer
- Required skills of a Magento software engineer
- Types of Magento developers: freelancers, in-house engineers, outsourced developers
- How to write a Magento developer job description?
- Magento developer hard skills assessment questions
Magento is an open-source eCommerce platform that helps developers to create fast, secure, and highly convenient eCommerce websites. This platform is written in PHP and uses several PHP frameworks, such as Laminas and Symfony.
There are several advantages why developers prefer using this platform for creating the eCommerce websites:
- Magento platform allows storing hundreds of products without any issues due to its scalability and high-performance rate.
- Flexible content management allows updating new products to attract customers. An intuitive page editor provides the ability to edit and control basic options.
- SEO optimization allows for building the eCommerce website very fast, which also allows the products to appear in the search results.
- As Magento is an open-source platform, developers can easily customize it and integrate different options. Moreover, it is possible to develop it more in the future.
Magento is a widely used platform developed by Adobe to create and maintain eCommerce websites. This platform also provides the ability to control all the processes of your online shop, such as the shopping cart system and user interface (look of the shop, available content, and other functional options).
Magento platform provides many tools to create the most convenient and interactive eCommerce websites. Here we will count the most popular and useful ones.
- PHPStorm. This tool is helpful when you need to categorize and manage large projects and amounts of data. Developers use PHPStorm as it allows them to manage the code easier and save time.
- Magento Debug. It is a debug tool that is essential to have as it allows devs to see request attributes, events, and what was loaded on the server while the debug was running.
- MageReport. This tool helps to check the security and quality of the eCommerce website. It provides the security status and possible ways to improve if there are some issues.
A certified Magento developer is a full-stack developer whose main field of work is the creation, maintenance, and improvement of the eCommerce websites based on the Magento platform.
You can find Magento web developers among PHP developers as the Magento platform is created based on this programming language), its frameworks (Zend, Yii, Phalcon, PHPixie), and the eCommerce functionalities of the platform to create efficient websites.
Depending on the expertise, Magento developers are classified into three types: junior, middle and senior developers.
- Junior Magento developers
Junior developers have up to two years of experience as they only begin their work in programming. They have basic knowledge of PHP programming language, frameworks such as Phalcon, PHPixie, and Laravel. As junior engineers don’t have enough experience to take part in full-staged development, they have basic tasks that don’t influence the project a lot and work in teams with more experienced engineers.
- Middle Magento developers
- Senior Magento developers
Senior developers have more than five years of experience. It requires them to have advanced expertise in several programming languages, a deep understanding of Magento and its tools. They also know the whole eCommerce lifecycle, understand UI/UX trends to create unique and high-quality websites. Senior engineers also have strong management and collaboration skills as they often work as Team Leads or Tech Leads and help junior developers grow.
Magento developers often have the following responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain eCommerce websites.
- Write efficient, clean, and readable code.
- Create Magento templates.
- Run code for troubleshooting and debugging issues.
- Design UI and its interaction with a user.
Magento developers need to have:
- Experience with eCommerce website development.
- Experience with UX/UI and WordPress.
- Understanding of eCommerce lifecycle development.
- Knowledge of Google Tag Manager, SEO, Google Analytics, PPC, and A/B Testing.
When hiring Magento software developers, there are three options to choose from: freelancers, in-house, and outsourced developers.
- Freelance Magento developers
If your project has no complicated development process and it’s a short-term task, you should hire freelance developers. Freelancers are quick to hire and are often cheaper compared to other types of engineers’ hiring. You can also access a wide pool of freelancers from other countries. Although, the quality of the project may not be satisfying as it is hard to find freelancers with all the required skills. Experienced and skilled devs usually already work on interesting projects and are employed by tech firms.
- In-house Magento developers
In-house developers are the best option if your project is in the core development stage or you need a stable regular team in your company. As they are a part of your team, they are highly dedicated and interested in the company’s growth. In-house engineers are also motivated and can create valuable software solutions or provide ideas on how to improve product quality. But this hiring option is quite expensive as you have to pay monthly salaries, supply your development team with needed tools, and have other extra spendings like bonuses and employee perks.
- Outsourced Magento developers
Outsourcing includes two typical options: outsourcing and staff augmentation. Outsourcing helps you to find and hire the development team with all the needed specialists in it (front-end developer, back-end developer, QA, Project Manager, UI/UX designer) to develop and maintain your product. It is also a more cost-effective way to get skilled engineers as companies usually outsource offshore, thus, there are lower average salaries. Staff augmentation, on the other hand, allows you to quickly hire highly skilled and experienced developers as a helping part of your in-house development team. You have access to a wide talent pool with cost-effective hiring as you only pay for the working hours of devs.
Detailed and structured Magento job descriptions can attract the developers with the required skills and who will be interested in the project. We have gathered the information which you should point out in this description:
- Note the job title and describe the developer’s role.
- List required tech and soft skills.
- Describe the responsibilities the developer will have.
- Point out your project’s development stage (core development or maintenance).
- Write about the expectations of the end product.
- Describe shortly in which field your company works (the developers who have related job experience can come up with appropriate solutions for your project).
Hard skills assessment allows you to check the developer’s skills and knowledge of the required technology. Here’s the list of questions you can ask:
- What’s Magento 2 File Structure?
- Which deploy modes can be used in Magento 2, and what are their main differences?
- What Is Dependency Injection?
- Which design patterns are you aware of in Magento?
- How to Deploy Magento in the Cloud?
- What’s the Purpose of a Composer.Lock?
Tell us about your plans on a brief intro call and we’ll start the matching process.
FAQ about Hiring Magento Developers
Why hire Magento developers with YouTeam?
YouTeam is a marketplace for fast and safe scaling your team with skilled developers. You can get the first candidates in less than 48 hours, and they will match the required skills as we pre-interview each of them.
How does YouTeam vet Magento software developers?
YouTeam vets each candidate in several stages. Firstly we search for candidates among the reliable development agencies we work with to find the best-matching ones and pre-interview them. Then, we send the best candidates for approval to the customer, and the customer later has an interview with picked developers to get the ones they will work with.
How much does it cost to hire the best Magento developers using YouTeam?
The average hourly rate of developers depends on their location, skills, and experience. In YouTeam, the average hourly rate of Magento 2 developers is $55.
Where are the best offshore Magento engineers located?
The best Magento engineers are located in countries of Latin America and Eastern Europe. These regions have high growth in the IT sector that also increased the number of skilled and experienced developers. It is cost-effective to hire engineers from these regions as the living costs are lower compared to the US, but the expertise of engineers is still on a great level.
How is YouTeam different from freelance portals for hiring Magento developers?
YouTeam doesn’t provide freelancers but developers from reliable development agencies. Each agency was handpicked, which means the devs from those agencies are highly skilled and experienced. In addition, you will be fully involved in the development process to check the developers’ performance. Finally, if something goes wrong and the developer has to leave the project, we will replace them with engineers of the same expertise.
Why hire a team of Magento developers?
A team of Magento developers allows you to distribute tasks between team members to keep the process faster. The engagement of a team of developers is also higher as there is a team and competitive spirit between developers. If the engineer has to leave the project, the developers can distribute tasks and responsibilities between each other to keep the development process running.
How Magento developer salary is different, and why?
The average Magento developer salary depends on the engineer’s location, how certified the developer is, and their skills. The average base salary of Magento programmers in such destinations as Latin America and Eastern Europe is lower compared to the US because of the lower cost of living, which also influences the average salary. Due to Salary.com, the average annual salary in the US is $113K. But in such cities in the US as New York and Los Angeles, the median salary of Magento developers is even higher due to higher costs of living in those cities. Meanwhile, in countries of Latin America, the salary ranges from $18K to $38K yearly. While in Eastern Europe their salary estimates from $19K to $31K per year.