How much does it cost to hire an offshore C developer?
Average cost of C
The average rates for offshore software development services based on the YouTeam platforms’s data: 300+ outsourcing companies with a joint talent pool of 20,000+ software engineers.
C Developer Salary vs. Rates on C Software Development Services: what’s the difference? Our data includes not only salary itself, but bonuses, non-financial benefits, paid vacations, office costs, and taxes for each developer. So you can see the final amount that should be paid for the work of an outsourced senior C developer.
155 Best C Developers For Hire on YouTeam in February 2024
Khariton Y.A Senior Android Developer with 9+ years of commercial development experience
Yuri M.C/C++, Java and C# developer, with experience in game development
Start hiring to Start hiring
see all talents
YouTeam is the #1 solution for on-demand engineering staff augmentation in the world. Our YCombinator-backed platform unites resources of 300+ top development agencies of Eastern Europe and Latin America in one talent tool. This makes us first who can find the best available matches for each project.
Why hire engineers with YouTeam
C++C++ is a general programming language close to C, which is used in the development of features that require real-time fast performance. Cost of C++ development
JavaJava is a high-level, class-based, object-oriented programming language that is used for back-end development. Cost of Java development
PythonPython is a object-oriented programming language with dynamic semantics. It is commonly used for developing websites and software, task automation, data analysis, and data visualization. Cost of Python development
Read about Work with C Developers
YouTeam Editorial Team
Understanding C as a
- C–what is it?
- What is C used for?
- C tools
- Who is a C developer?
- C developers' experience levels
- Tasks and responsibilities of C developer
- Required skills of a C software engineer
- Types of C developers: freelancers, in-house engineers, outsourced developers
- How to write a C developer job description?
- C developer hard skills assessment questions
C is a high-level structured-oriented programming language. It is a machine-independent language used to create a wide range of applications and different types of systems, such as Windows and Linux.
Software engineers prefer C over other programming languages due to:
- The ability to create a wide range of software as C has features of high-level and low-level languages.
- The availability of numerous libraries provides a great variety of built-in features.
- The speed of applications created with the C programming language. The language itself is faster and doesn’t have any additional processing overheads.
- Easier learning of widely used programming languages–C++ and Java as both of them have the basis of C language.
There are the main ways how to use the C programming language:
- OS building. The most popular and widely used operating systems (OS) are primarily built using the C language. iOS, Android, and Windows Phone are also written in C language as they are mainly modifications of the PC operating systems.
- Database development. C language is the main programming language used in developing such popular databases as Oracle Database, SQL, and MySQL due to its efficiency and versatility.
- Back-end development. C language, along with Python, is widely used for the back-end as it is easy to read and maintain.
- App and web development. C programming language is used by web developers as it is a good option to create web servers with. It is a middle-level language that includes features of high-level and low-level languages. That means it can be used for scripting kernels or software.
Below you can find the most popular tools for C development.
- Eclipse. It is a powerful IDE for C developers with cross-platform support and Git integration.
- Atom. Created by the GitHub community, this environment allows the creation of efficient applications and has some good features (plugin support, package manager).
- Visual Studio Code. An open-source IDE that helps to create high-quality applications, debugging support is available, and it is possible to customize the software itself.
C developer is an IT specialist with expertise in C programming. Their main responsibilities are to create and maintain efficient C code, proceed with troubleshooting and debugging.
As C language is a base programming language for C++ and Java and has some similar features, it is possible to find C programmers among Java developers and C++ developers.
Based on the experience developers have, they are divided into three types: junior, middle, and senior developers.
- Junior C developers
Junior developers who begin their career path and have up two two years of experience (Entry-level). They have basic knowledge of C programming language a little experience with the library as specified by ISO and ANSI. Junior engineers also have a basic understanding of low-level threading primitives. These developers usually work on basic tasks and learn new technologies from their more experienced teammates and senior engineers.
- Middle C developers
Middle developers have from three to five years of experience. These engineers have advanced knowledge of C programming language and have experience with writing native modules for high-level languages such as Java, Python, Ruby, etc. They know data structures, algorithms, XML, and relational databases. Middle engineers are experienced enough to provide their own software solutions for the projects. They also have enough expertise to develop products by themselves.
- Senior C developers
Senior software engineers have more than five years of experience. It requires them to have advanced knowledge of C and at least two other programming languages and their frameworks. They understand Object-Oriented Analysis, design, and language tools, such as Lint, Valgrind, and code versioning tools (Git, SVN, and Mercurial). Senior developers also have advanced collaboration and problem-solving skills to efficiently manage the development process and team.
When C developer works on a project or in a team, they usually have the following responsibilities:
- Write clear, readable, and efficient code in C language.
- Proceed with troubleshooting and debugging.
- Implement performance and quality modules.
- Develop libraries, embedded systems for high-level languages, and libraries.
- Perform modifications and break fixes with VBA code and C program.
- Provide testing and maintenance of the C code.
When hiring a C developer, employers often look for the following skills:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience in C development and knowledge of the language specification.
- Knowledge of low-level threading primitives and real-time environments.
- Experience with language tools, such as Lint, Valgrind, etc.
- Experience with code versioning tools (Git, SVN, and Mercurial).
- Advanced problem solving and collaboration skills.
C developers are divided into three types according to their working model–freelancers, in-house, and outsourced developers.
- Freelance C developers
Freelance developers are a good option for short-term projects or those with a low level of complicity. The main advantage is that freelancers can begin working the same day you hire them. Moreover, they are a cheap option compared to other hiring models. Although, the quality of the product may be poor, and freelancers may quit when you don’t expect it as they often have more than one project at the same time. In addition, it is hard to find a programmer that will match all your requirements as skilled and experienced developers already have interesting projects or work on tech companies.
- In-house C developers
If your project is one the stage of core development or you need to have a development team in your company on a regular basis, then you should hire in-house developers. These engineers are the most dedicated and engaged in the development process. In-house computer programmers are more motivated to provide software solutions to make the product better. But such an option is money consuming as to keep the in-house development team, you have to supply them with all the needed technologies, pay salaries, bonuses, and taxes.
- Outsourced C developers
Another option is to hire outsourced developers, where you can choose either outsourcing or staff augmentation models. Outsourcing means you can hire a whole dedicated team with developers, QAs, designers, and PMs. It is a cost-effective solution as most outsourced developers live in countries with a lower cost of living that also influence the average salary. Thus, the expertise is still on a high level. Staff augmentation means you can hire one or several skilled and experienced developers as a helping part of your in-house team. It allows you to hire developers fast, gives you a wide talent pool to choose from, and has a convenient cost of hiring as you only pay for developers’ working hours.
Before looking for developers, it is important to write an attractive job description. It can help to find the best matching candidates that can already come up with some interesting software solutions for your project. Here’s the list of what you have to write:
- Write the job title and shortly describe the developer’s role.
- List important tech and soft skills.
- Write what responsibilities the developer will have.
- Point out the project’s development stage (core development or maintenance).
- Describe what expectations you have of the project.
- Write about the field your company works in (the developers with job experience in the same field can come up with appropriate solutions for your project).
To check the developer’s expertise and tech skills, you can ask them the following questions:
- Why is it important to integrate the C language when building high-level coding applications?
- What has been the most complex application system you have coded using C language?
- What is the difference between #include “…” and #include <…>?
- Why is it usually a bad idea to use gets()? Suggest a workaround.
- What’s the difference between source codes and object codes?
- When should the keyword “void” be used in a function?
Tell us about your plans on a brief intro call and we’ll start the matching process.
FAQ about Hiring C Developers
Why hire C developers with YouTeam?
YouTeam is a marketplace that allows you quickly scale your development team with skilled and experienced developers. With YouTeam, you get the first best-matching candidates in less than 48 hours, which makes us the fastest solution on the market.
How does YouTeam vet C software developers?
YouTeam vets candidates in several stages. We search for developers among the reliable agencies we work with, pre-interview each of them to check if they are skilled and experienced enough. After we have found the matching engineers, we send them to the client, who selects those they want to have an interview with. After the client and developers have an interview and where the client selects who they want to work with.
How much does it cost to hire the best C developers using YouTeam?
The average hourly rate of C developers depends on the location, experience, and skills the developer has. The average YouTeam hourly rate for C developers is $55.
Where are the best offshore C engineers located?
The best C engineers are located in such offshore destinations as Latin America and Eastern Europe. Both of the regions have fast growth in the IT sector, which has increased the number of skilled and experienced developers as well. It means you can find good developers at lower prices. It is cost-effective to hire engineers from these regions due to the lower cost of living in these countries compared to the US, but the expertise of engineers is still at a great level.
How is YouTeam different from freelance portals for hiring C developers?
YouTeam provides software engineers from reliable development agencies who are not freelancers. As we handpicked each agency, the programmers they provide have advanced skills and good experience. Moreover, if there are some unpredictable cases and the developer has to leave the project, we will replace them with developers of the same expertise.
Why hire a team of C developers?
A full-time team of C developers allows making the development process faster by distributing tasks between engineers. They are also engaged in the development process as there is a competitive spirit between developers. If a developer has to leave the project, others can distribute that developer’s tasks which will not influence the project development.
How C developer salary is different, and why?
The average C developer salary depends on the engineer’s location, what certification the developer has, and their skills. The average base salary of C programmers in such destinations as Latin America and Eastern Europe is lower compared to the US because of the lower cost of living, which also influences the national average salary. Due to Payscale and Ziprecruiter salary data, the average annual salary in the US is $100K. In New York and San Francisco, the software developer salaries are even higher due to the higher costs of living. In Latin America, the salary ranges from $19K to $31K yearly. While in Eastern Europe, the median salary is from $15K to $27K per year.